Ask the Nutritionist – Vegan/Vegetarian (good/bad?) | Intermittent Fasting (good/bad?) | Milk???
Intermittent Fasting, Veganism, Vegetarian, Game Changers, Milk Alternatives … are all the rage at the moment. So are they good for you? Do they work? And will they work for me? Shannon Coolican – Exercise Physiologist from Longevity ask Clinical Nutritionist Anthony Hartcher from me&my wellness FAQ’s from clients.
What is the best/healthiest milk alternative?
Depends on what you’re looking for:
– protein, fat, calcium?
– Less is best
– fewer ingredients and only ones that you recognise
– Clean brands: Australia’s Own, Macro Organic, Aldi Just Organic / Inner Goodness, Pure Harvest, Nutty Bruce, Inside Out
– Unsweetened – If you like it creamy then chase high % almonds
– If you seeking calcium find ones with fortified calcium
How can I get more protein without eating more meat?
Nuts, seeds, legumes, grains Should I go vegan/vegetarian, what are they, what are the benefits? So what are they? Lacto, ovo, lacto/ovo, piscean vegetarian OR Vegan no animal products.
– Ultimately your decision!
- Rich in fibre, phytochemicals (phenols – resveratrol; flavonoids – anthocyanins; carotenoid – beta carotene), vitamins, minerals, healthy fats
- Supports detoxification pathways
- Supports gut / immune (modulation) health
- Supports mental health
- Energy pathways
- Must pay attention to: Vitamin B12, Calcium, Iron, Protein.
Are weight loss shakes a good way to lose weight?
– Short term focus (yes)
– Convenient (yes)
– Long term sustainable weight management (no)
– A lot are full of sugar alcohols (sweeteners), preservatives, caffeine
Skim/low fat/fortified milk? Which one is best?
Full fat is best remember milk doesn’t have a lot of fat ie. 4%!!! Take away the fat you lose the fat soluble vitamins – vitamins A, E, D, K and of course the creamy texture A2 protein is easier digested, organic is preferred (grass fed, no additional hormones or antibiotics). Source: Dietitians Association
I love bread, which one is the healthiest choice?
Depends? Are you wheat, gluten or an intolerance to another type of grain? Sourdough – dark Sprouted seeded bread Fasting and if it’s beneficial to exercise while fasting? Depends on your goal, training duration and intensity. If you are wanting to lose weight, improve insulin sensitivity then yes… if your chasing training performance and your training is longer than 1.5hr or your intensity is high and longer than 45min.
How would a nutritionist help me?
Personalised nutrition to meet your goals (cut through the crap and get straight to a healthy way of eating that suits your goals and lifestyle).
About me&my Health Up & Guest Anthony Hartcher
me&my Health Up seeks to enhance and enlighten the wellbeing of others. Guest Anthony Hartcher is the CEO of me&my wellness which provides holistic health solutions using food is medicine, combined with a holistic, balanced, lifestyle approach. Anthony holds three bachelor degrees in Complementary Medicine; Nutrition and Dietetic Medicine; and Chemical Engineering.