Pecan Pie – A Creation of COVID Lockdown!
Recipe created by Adriana Hartcher
The real deal – an actual photo of the pie!
200grams spelt flour
100 grams coconut oil (solid)
1 teaspoon salt
7-8 tablespoons (120 ml) ice water
3 tablespoons golden flaxseed meal
9 tablespoons water
1/4 cup brown rice syrup
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons cornstarch
30 grams coconut oil, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla paste
2 1/2 cups pecans, chopped + more whole for decoration
– Place flour, salt, and cold coconut oil in a food processor. Pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal.
– Slowly add ice water. Pulse once or twice after each addition until the dough begins to hold together.
– Squeeze a small handful: If it doesn’t hold together, add more ice water, 1/2 tablespoon at a time, pulsing until incorporated, then test again. Do not overwork the dough, or it will be tough.
– Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Gather dough together, wrap with plastic wrap, and chill in fridge for at least 1 hour.
– Remove dough from fridge and place on a floured surface. Roll to 1/4″ thick, and place into a pie dish, crimping edges.
– Return to fridge whilst preparing filling.
– Preheat oven to 180 C.
– Mix the golden flaxseed meal and water in a small bowl. Let it sit for 10 minutes until it thickens.
– Combine flaxseed mixture, syrup, honey, salt, cornstarch, coconut oil and vanilla paste in a medium bowl. Fold in the chopped pecans at the end.
– Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust.
– Top with whole pecans, if desired.
– Bake at 180º C degrees for 40 – 60 minutes, or until dark, thick and bubbly. It will still be soft when you take it out of the oven. Cool and let set until ready to serve.
Serving Notes: Serve the sliced pie with your favourite ice-cream.