Recipe created by Brooke Malouf
10min prep, 20min cook time, serves 4
- 1 Onion
- 3 Garlic cloves
- Olive oil 2 tablespoons
- 1 L Chicken broth, beef broth or veg broth
- 1 can Kidney beans
- 1 can Butter beans or cannellini beans
- 1 can chopped tomato – like Mutti polpa. (Or 2 whole tomatoes chopped. Or 4-6 baby truss tomatoes halved.)
- Kale or spinach – 2 cups or 2 large handfuls
- Carrots – 1 bunch baby, or 2 large
- Celery 3 sticks
- Oregano or thyme – dried 1/2 tsp or 1 tsp fresh
- Rosemary – dried 1/2 tsp or 1 tsp fresh
- 2 Bay leaves
- Potato x 1 or sweet potato 1/2
- Zucchini x 1
- Long green beans x 1/2 cup
- Brown rice/ wholegrain pasta half cup – macaroni or bow tie style
- 1 capsicum
- Parmesan – a tablespoon to serve
- Chilli flakes – to serve
- Lemon wedge – to serve (makes plant/non heme iron more bioavailable! )
Optional: 2 strips of preservative free prosciutto to fry with golden onion at start.
Optional: only 1 can beans & 1 cup pasta instead.
- Chop all veg as prep.
- Fry onion with olive oil on medium-high heat, stir until golden – don’t let it burn, (add chopped prosciutto if you wish), and garlic.
- Add herbs, bay leaves, then broth, then one tin of tomato or freshly chopped tomatoes.
- Bring temperature down to a gentle simmer to let the flavours come together for about 10-20 minutes.
- Add potato, carrots , or any other hard veg you’ve used – simmer for 5-10 mins,
- Add pasta – 10 minutes (check packet for timing), and add soft green veg & beans 5 minutes before the end.
- Take off heat, serve immediately, and enjoy with a small bit of parmesan, chilli flakes and lemon.
Note: if not using canned, then just 1 cup beans, or 1/2 cup of two different kinds, soaked overnight (can add sprinkle of Bicarbonate soda to help release the phytic acid), then rinsed well, and pre-boiled.
Recipe by Brooke Malouf from Nourish with Brooke